Re: Being part of a community and behaving

Le 13/11/2014 18:58, Ralf Jung a écrit :
> How does having yet another NTP client shut off existing NTP clients?
> How does having yet another way to configure your network shut off
> existing alternatives?

How does having yet another web browser integrated in the OS shut off
existing web browsers ? ;)

> Even syslog is still working!

No, it's not:

raph@arche:~$ journalctl | grep Forwarding
nov. 10 20:14:34 arche systemd-journal[207]: Forwarding to syslog missed
42 messages.
nov. 14 01:02:44 arche systemd-journal[207]: Forwarding to syslog missed
1 messages.
nov. 14 01:25:31 arche systemd-journal[207]: Forwarding to syslog missed
2 messages.
nov. 14 01:26:36 arche systemd-journal[207]: Forwarding to syslog missed
2 messages.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-August/021897.html

I know it may be biased since I'm the reporter of the bug, but I'm tired
of reading that systemd replaces all those components smoothly.

It does not.

Now on the technical side, when I reported this bug I looked at the
source code. In a nutshell, the comment said "If syslog is too slow,
drop the message" (IIRC it was even more condescending, like "we don't
have to wait for this" or something). Really ? The very piece of code
which is supposed to talk to syslog... doesn't wait for syslog ?

So if one can't afford to have crippled logs, what's the solution ?
Getting rid of syslog completely by turning on persistence in journald,
and go with binary logs ? Thanks, but no thanks.

I think Florian really has a point: Debian has changed. I use Debian
since Slink and I can confidently say that there was a time when such
software would never have reached stable, let alone become the default.
In those days, we would have waited for the RHEL admins to do the
beta-testing in production environments (which excludes toys like Fedora
or Arch or whatever distro that "use systemd for several years now
without any hassle") before adopting this bloatware as the default init
system.

--
Raphaël Halimi