Re: veto?

On 15/11/14 11:52, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Peter Samuelson:
>>
>> Do you mean, perhaps, that the Further Discussion option in a GR
>> should be weighted much more heavily than other options, so that
>> it can beat another option if only a few people rank it higher?
>> I am not in favor of that.
>>
> You can't give any one option more "weight" in a Condorcet election
> because each input vote is a ranking of options. You _could_
> require the Condorcet winner to have a 2:1 (or 1.5:1 or …)
> supermajority over FD.
>
> IMHO, doing this would not be good for Debian, for reasons already
> stated.
>
>> Or perhaps you mean there should be an official platform where
>> someone can say, effectively, "Before deciding to do X, you
>> should take into account that I, someone directly involved in its
>> implementation, will not help because I'm not convinced X is a
>> good idea.  Also, this may demotivate me from related work Y and
>> Z." But, well, anybody can already say that.
>>
> Exactly. That platform already exists, it's called "debian-vote"
> (or -devel or -project … take your pick).

As mentioned in another reply, how people vote doesn't give a good
insight into how they will or won't act

The things people write in debian-vote or debian-devel give more
insight but only for those people who take the time to write and even
then somebody has to read all of those opinions and potentially
summarize them.

E.g. if 10 people are going to stop or limit their maintenance of
essential packages because of some technical or policy change, that
would be very useful to know in advance of any GR.

>> Anyway... I don't really see people leaving because of a decision
>> they disagree with.
>>
> I assume that some do, but they're doing it quietly.
>
> If the systemd decision had gone the other way (i.e. pro Upstart),
> I would have done the same thing.

It is not just about people formally resigning, people may simply
change the way they are working, may be less likely to volunteer for
things (like mentoring or helping the FTP masters with the NEW queue),
etc.