Re: Being part of a community and behaving

Hi,

>> How does having yet another NTP client shut off existing NTP clients?
>> How does having yet another way to configure your network shut off
>> existing alternatives?
>
> How does having yet another web browser integrated in the OS shut off
> existing web browsers ? ;)

There's a difference between a browser popping into every kind of
launcher and starter and telling people it should be used; and something
like systemd-networkd that I wouldn't even know existed if I wouldn't
follow the news.
You have a point here. But I think that the case is different for
services that the average user hardly ever faces. People who do manual
network configuration beyond NetworkManager, are more than capable of
installing another suite for that if necessary (not that it looks like
/etc/network/interfaces will cease to function anytime soon). Everybody
else uses whatever Gnome/KDE/... provides and doesn't care how the magic
happens in the background.

>> Even syslog is still working!
>
> No, it's not:
[...]

Well, systemd has bugs, nobody doubts that. FWIW, I never saw this
happen on my machine.

Kind regards
Ralf