Re: piece of mind

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:

> At a glance at the sysvinit source, it doesn't look to me like
> /sbin/init itself does service management, in the "starting, stopping
> and monitoring services" form; at most, it seems to handle some subset
> of the "monitoring" part, in the form of noticing when something has
> died abnormally. (Which goes well beyond just services, when necessary.)

/etc/inittab is exactly starting, stopping, and monitoring services.  It's
just so bad of an implementation of the concept that people long ago
started layering another system on top and invoking it via /etc/inittab.
But I know folks who still use /etc/inittab instead of other things
layered on top precisely because it's more reliable to have PID 1 handle
the starting, stopping, and monitoring.  Even though sysvinit is missing
basically every feature that you would want from something that does this.