Re: piece of mind

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> writes:
>> "If you don't want to use my software on general principles, go away and
>>  write your own. Do not bother me."
>>
>> This principle is hardly specific to systemd.
>
> Yes, but other upstreams at least agree to not step on the
> toes of people who wish to use other software.

Can you give an example of people doing that in case of systemd? Because
so far, everything I heard was similar to GNOME, where:
• systemd provided a feature.
• Software A's upstream decided they wanted to use it, because it made
  their life easier.
• systemd-opponent X wanted to use Software A, telling Software A's
  upstream they therefore can not depend on systemd.
• sytsemd-opponent X accuses systemd-upstream of stuffing systemd down
  their throats.

Or, also commonly known:
• systemd provides an init-system.
• Distribution B decides freely and using their usual process, that they
  want to migrate to systemd.
• systemd-opponent Y wants to use distribution B, telling distribution
  B's developers, they therefore can not use systemd.
• systemd-opponent Y accuses systemd-upstream of stuffing systemd down
  their throats.

I saw a lot of stepping on the toes of people who wish to use other
software than oneself, on this list in particular. In most (if not all)
cases it where the toes of various DE-upstreams or systemd-maintainers.

Best,

Axel Wagner