Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On 08/13/2014 06:08 PM, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:18:49PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>>> Well, Linus' extensions won't break because GNOME updates them with
>>> every release and ships them with the official GNOME release.
>>
>> From the README found in "gnome-shell-extensions" sources:
>>
>>     GNOME Shell Extensions is a collection of extensions providing additional
>>     and optional functionality to GNOME Shell.
>>     Since GNOME Shell is not API stable, extensions work only against a very
>>     specific version of the shell, usually the same as this package (see
>>     "configure --version"). Also, since extensions are built from many
>>     individual contributors, we cannot guarantee stability or quality for any
>>     specific extension.
>>     For these reasons, distributions are advised to avoid installing or packaging
>>     this module by default.
> That's odd - I remember someone from the GNOME folks saying that they
> develop these extensions together with the Shell and as part of
> official GNOME so they do not break and users can rely on them.
> Also, they provide the stuff needed for GNOME Classic, which is the
> default desktop on RHEL (so I kind of expect that stuff to work and to
> be developed in future).
> But that README file is indeed very clear about the extensions repo...

The following "first party" extensions are developed along with
gnome-shell and are updated for each gnome-shell release.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions/tree/extensions

Extensions on https://extensions.gnome.org/ are the ones that are often
late with updating based on new releases.

(My perspective as a Debian user: I cannot bring myself to recommend
Debian to GNU/Linux newcomers, and those not interested in tinkering
with packages and DEs, if the default DE isn't comparable (in terms of
usability, features, design) to GNOME.  If this is the case, I will
sadly recommend Mint, Fedora, or some Ubuntu flavor instead, which all
have demonstrated more of a focus to those not in the ivory tower).