Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:18:49PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Well, Linus' extensions won't break because GNOME updates them with
> every release and ships them with the official GNOME release.

>From the README found in "gnome-shell-extensions" sources:

    GNOME Shell Extensions is a collection of extensions providing additional
    and optional functionality to GNOME Shell.
    Since GNOME Shell is not API stable, extensions work only against a very
    specific version of the shell, usually the same as this package (see
    "configure --version"). Also, since extensions are built from many
    individual contributors, we cannot guarantee stability or quality for any
    specific extension.
    For these reasons, distributions are advised to avoid installing or packaging
    this module by default.

So again, it'll be interesting to see how many extensions work when
3.14 gets released, and how many just break or just silently
disappear....

Of course, not anything which is officially in GNOME is guaranteed to
stick around, either.  Functionality which is part of "official" GNOME
have commonly disappeared in a version "upgrade" as well, and the
Gnome Shell Extensions has a lesser guarantee of stability than
features in core GNOME.

At least for me, it's a case of "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me
twice, shame on me."

						- Ted