Re: sysvinit is still here, and here to stay for jessie (was Re: systemd is here to stay, get over it now)

Hi,

Adam Borowski:
> There was enough trouble when udev needed an in-lockstep upgrade with the
> kernel a few releases back.  If systemd components are going to need such
> forced reboots on a repeated basis, I don't like where this is going.

systemd and its components can re-exec themselves, that's not the problem.

The problem is that along with systemd we're changing a lot of the
supporting infrastructure ("we" here is Upstream, for the most part).

Keeping old low-level interfaces around just to avoid logging out or
rebooting may or may not be something we can do easily. While I'll
certainly be happy to be able to dist-upgrade without a subsequent reboot,
if it turns out that this is not going to be easy to achieve then so be it.

For Zurg (Jessie+1), we're likely to switch to Wayland. How do you plan to
do *that* without forcing at least a re-login?

--
-- Matthias Urlichs