Re: sysvinit is still here, and here to stay for jessie (was Re: systemd is here to stay, get over it now)

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:

> ... particularly because I use rather fewer things than
> many other people, and don't use most fancy GUI elements. (For example,
> I don't have a graphical "power button" at all; I shut down by exiting
> my window manager, logging out of the console where I had originally run
> startx, logging in as root, and running 'shutdown -h'.)

So, let me get this straight:

You're saying that if, having decided to postpone rebooting after an
upgrade where any reasonable person would expect to reboot, you hear
rumours that features you don't use would have been broken if you had
them installed, you'll be highly displeased -- is that right?

and this is on a laptop, where you run testing, and which generally
gets rebooted by power outages, rather than any UI component that may or
may not be working at the time.

and you're inflicting this nonsense on the thousands of readers of this
list for what reason?  If it's to gain our gratitude and respect, I'm
afraid it's not working on me.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. I'm yet to install systemd, but when I do switch to systemd, which
I will do despite being a bit of a stick in the mud, I'll expect to
reboot at least once.
|-|  HANDS.COM Ltd.                    http://ftp.uk.debian.org/