Re: systemd-fsck?

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:06:10AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> writes:
• no /etc/init.d/$foo (to tabcomplete, no less!) any more
I've been telling people to stop using this for years.  You should stop

Doesn’t matter in mixed environments. Suse SLES11 has the service command as well but no tab completion and no package bash-completion.

So what do you think people will use in the end?

service foo <action> works across Linux distributions, with or without
systemd, and does the right thing.

Of course, as long as you know the name foo. And of course foo in Suse may be an other name as in Debian (sshd <-> ssh).

• the init system breaking init scripts hand-written by people
  who don’t really know what they’re doing, have not even heard
  of LSB, much less “units”
This was indeed a more difficult transition... which we already did years ago when we switched to dependency-based boot. Which did cause

We still have init scripts without LSB headers in our environment. No one is planning to fix them. There is even new third party software shipping init scripts without LSB headers.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |