Re: Debian default desktop environment

previously on this list people contributed:

> but that doesn't change the fact that ffm with autoraise
> works in gnome3.

>> GNOME 3 is based on Mutter which has, AFAICT, all features Metacity
>> (GNOME 2) used to provide. The focus settings are not shown in the
>> control center, but you can use gnome-tweak-tool or the gsettings CLI to
>> change them.

Last time I looked it was alledged but "no raise on click" was not
offered and couldn't be manually done.

>> The main problem in GNOME 3.4 with focus-follows-mouse is that it makes
>> the application menu (in the top bar) mostly unusable if you have to
>> move the pointer over another application to reach the menu. But the
>> application menu is not used much in 3.4, and the problem should be
>> fixed in more recent versions (the application menu doesn’t switch
>> immediately with the focus).

You can change the timing on xfce, inherited from the brill fvwm and
also the timing of desktop scroll by mouse.

I am getting the impression that many missed a detail.

It also supports focus follows mouse, no raise on click
				      ^^

I am talking about focus follows mouse but raise only on clicking say
the border or bar, you can still enter text into any layered windows
that have focus. So you can quickly switch for entry to or from web
pages on one screen or read a web page in the background. Reference 4
open windows at once, use the scroll upon focus etc.. Basically the
closest thing to a panelling window manager like scrotwm (which I could
learn) without needing to learn the commands (works for my users too
and I should test what I provide) and allowing overlapping for
redundant web edges, saves time re-sizing etc..

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)