Re: Debian default desktop environment

previously on this list Wookey contributed:

> but I just wanted to repoy to correct the
> apparent misapprehension that XFCE doesn't do user-friendly monitor out
> of the box.

It is hardly a showstopper either and I expect xfce-4.10 does and as
there has been a long time of testing before 4.10 was released as
stable it is put at a bit of a disadvantage to Gnome and KDE for having
the same aims as debian stable with the bugs I have come across such as
in mimecache handling actually being down to gnome libraries. As
already said the control of this is very simple via *randr.

It also supports focus follows mouse, no raise on click which is
something inherited from fvwm and Gnome cannot do even with gnome
tweaks last time I checked and KDE had a bug open about it. I find that
very useful to make the most of even multiple desktops and more would
use it if they could.

Atleast with 'win98' (rediculous and no reply to justify so far) you
won't suddenly have users not knowing how to shutdown their machine
like happened on was it win 8 and Gnome 3.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)