Re: Debian default desktop environment

Well, it's almost impossible to avoid personal judgments on this matter. This involves personal taste. But when talking about "new users" or "not-that-advanced users", I'm really suggesting Gnome 3 to be the choice of the project.

I know that its size is bigger than Xfce and it takes more resources, but it represents the evolution of a great desktop environment. And it is (and looks like) "today".

As I said before, we can't deny that a lot of people hate changes. But it's part of the process. Each product, when getting big changes, faces it. Windows 8 is a good example.

I'm saying something that the market is showing us: people don't want to perform magic to make things work these days. They want to press an icon and get that program to work. Furthermore, they're asking developers to narrow differences between platforms.

It's not about Gnome, Xfce or whatever desktop environment being focused only on touchscreen devices or identical to a mobile platform (that would be terrible for everyone), but at least something that doesn't make people think that Debian looks like from last decade and don't support new technologies (although, we all know, none of these being true -- but we have to show it).

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 08:18:41AM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:16:15 Undefined User wrote:
> > The problem is that right now Debian project is changing its default
> > desktop environment, and I think that this is not a good move. Of course,
> > it all depends on where the project is aiming at, specially on which users.
> > But, for normal users, Gnome 3 is a way better experience than Xfce.
>
> I think Xfce is much better *default* desktop environment (DE) than Gnome.
>
> As KDE fan I do not like Gnome. Those who forget to choose DE in installer
> (just like I did more than once) and end up with Xfce will have a lot less to

Yeah, forgetting to press space instead of enter can lead to disaster!
:)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X