Re: Debian default desktop environment

Le vendredi 04 avril 2014 à 15:25 +0200, Stephan Seitz a écrit :
> As far as I understand Gnome3 needs more resources than XFCE

This is mostly irrelevant. The resources consumed by the desktop are
negligible compared to applications. As soon as you start a browser with
a few tabs on non-trivial websites, 1 GiB of memory is barely enough.
Regardless of the desktop environment.

> and modern hardware.

This is no longer a requirement in jessie, at least on x86 where
llvmpipe is now accepted as a GL engine.

> The default desktop should be moderate. If you want more eye
> candy and bells and whistles you can install bigger desktop environments.

The default desktop should be functional and easy to use. I don’t call
features that go in this direction “eye candy” or “bells and whistles”.
Please don’t compare GNOME to Compiz just because it has OpenGL
requirements.

> My mother is using Debian 6 with Gnome 2. I don’t know if I will ever
> update this system. Gnome 3 is not a solution, and I’m not interested in
> teaching XFCE.

Looks like you are deciding in place of your mother what is good for
her. And I don’t think you should in this case. GNOME 3 is very popular
among less experienced users, for good reason.

--
 .''`.        Josselin Mouette
: :' :