Re: jquery debate with upstream

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:

> That was a conscious decision on the part of the project to revise the text
> of the Social Contract.  That vote did *not* replace the use of the word
> "program" in DFSG#2 with the word "software".  It is incorrect to infer from
> this vote that Debian decided to require source for all non-program works.

As far as I can tell, not modifying the DSFG at the same time was an
oversight. Fixing that mistake was attempted in a later GR but that
was blocked with a narrow margin.

https://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_004

The DFSG mentions "program" in other sections too. Does that mean that
we can accept non-programs with licenses that:

Discriminate against fields of endeavour (item 6)?

Don't let Debian pass licenses on to users (item 7)?

Don't apply to entities other than Debian (item 8)?

I definitely can't agree with your interpretation here and think we
should amend the DFSG to replace all uses of the words "software" or
"program" with "work" or similar.

--
bye,
pabs