Re: jquery debate with upstream

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 10:50:13AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > A PNG is not a program.

> Depends on your definition of program.

Yes.  If you use the English definition of the word "program", then it's not
a program.  But I guess if you make up definitions for program to get the
result you want:

> PNG files are programs that run in a PNG decoder.  ELF binaries aren't
> programs, they are just data interpreted by CPUs.

... then you can claim that it's a program.

> > There is no source required for a PNG under DFSG #2

> I disagree, I've always assumed the DFSG applied to all of Debian main
> regardless of format.

You may have assumed that, but that is not what the DFSG says.

> > anyone who says otherwise is engaging in (or a victim of)
> > historical revisionism.

> I guess you are referring to the GR that clarified the Social Contract
> to read "work" instead of "software".

> https://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_003

That was a conscious decision on the part of the project to revise the text
of the Social Contract.  That vote did *not* replace the use of the word
"program" in DFSG#2 with the word "software".  It is incorrect to infer from
this vote that Debian decided to require source for all non-program works.