Re: pulseaudio related problems....

Le mardi 18 février 2014 à 11:51 +0100, Andrew Shadura a écrit :
> On 18 February 2014 11:37, Jean-Christophe Dubacq <jcdubacq1@free.fr> wrote:
> > This is obviously a feeling. Facts would be better.
>
> > Pulseaudio is not broken, not by large. Many linux users use it without
> > any problems; it is default on almost all distributions, including the
> > largest ones (Debian is the exception here).

Debian is not the exception. Debian and Gentoo used to patch out
PulseAudio because we felt it was not ready, but we’ve been shipping it
by default since wheezy, and this thread is the first time I’ve heard of
major problems with that.

I notice an interesting correlation with the people complaining
endlessly about NM, GNOME, fd.o, systemd or whatever they want to
complain about today. I don’t think this is a coincidence, and this is
why I’m not putting too much weight in what has been said in that
thread.

> As a matter of fact, PulseAudio never worked for me on Debian, every
> time something brought it as a dependency the only way to fix the
> sound was to purge pulseaudio package and install an alternative to
> the package which pulled it.

We have a longstanding problem, which is that whenever PA is installed,
it is autostarted by applications using ALSA or GStreamer. This is not
the correct behavior, because pavucontrol might not be installed, and
the user might not have the idea to run it.

This is not a problem for desktop users, since the pulseaudio daemon is
started by the session manager, but I’ve been advocating against
autostarting. (Note that it can be easily disabled with a bit of
configuration.)

> The only time I has somehow working PulseAudio was when I installed
> Ubuntu on a computer I was going to sell. However, it had some
> extremely weird behaviour: music did play only as long as I was on the
> same virtual console as the X server — as soon as I switched to vt1,
> sound disappeared. To me, it's an obvious misfeature, which doesn't
> exist when I'm using just ALSA and nothing more.

This is configurable behavior; it can be better in some multi-user
environments.

--
 .''`.        Josselin Mouette
: :' :