Re: porting OpenRC on kFreeBSD and Hurd (was: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system)

On 10/29/2013 03:57 PM, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 23:45 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> OpenRC has been waiting in the NEW queue (targeting experimental, as
>> this is what it is right now: experimental!) for more than a month. It'd
>> be nice if someone from the FTP master team could review it, so that at
>> least others can try it. As much as I can tell, it works, though I'm
>> sure there's a lot of problems that I didn't see, and having it exposed
>> would help (so that others can fill bug reports).
>
> Triggered by the good news about OpenRC for GNU/kFreeBSD
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/10/msg00991.html
> I would like to try to build it also for GNU/Hurd, save the PATH_MAX
> stuff. Where is it? It is not in http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html

It has been rejected because of /sbin/rc.

FYI, if it doesn't FTBFS anymore, it still doesn't work properly in
kFreeBSD: some of the early boot things in /lib/rc/sh/init.sh aren't
working well yet (for example, /run shouldn't be mounted with the nodev
option under kFreeBSD, plus some more). Though I'm working with upstream
on it via IRC (on #openrc on Freenode), and they are very friendly. They
already applied the kFreeBSD patch that was sent to me, if I'm not
mistaking.

If you want to check it out, please git clone:

Vcs-Git: git://anonscm.debian.org/collab-maint/openrc.git
Vcs-Browser: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/openrc.git

Note also that there's a *new* dependency problem (it wasn't there a
month ago...), with ifupdown, openssh-server plus another one (I can't
remember which one) which insist on having sysv-rc installed. That
prevent from installing OpenRC "normally", though with a bit of
--ignore-depends=sysv-rc you will be able to install OpenRC with dpkg
-i. Once you've done that, you pretty much fucked the apt database,
though that's enough for testing a reboot on a VM! :)

I've asked Roger Leigh what went wrong with the sysvinit source package
over this last month, and I'm still waiting for an answer.

Thomas