Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

On 10/29/2013 06:53 PM, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Hi Svante,
>
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:57:13 +0100 Svante Signell wrote:
>> Triggered by the good news about OpenRC for GNU/kFreeBSD
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/10/msg00991.html
>
> I wouldn't get too excited just yet;  with more work we might get OpenRC
> working on our ports, but some still insist on there being *only*
> systemd (and no ports).  *sigh*

Nobody can stop anyone to work on what he wishes in Debian. This has
always been the case. If I am having fun to work on OpenRC, and wish to
have it work on the ports, that's my choice, and my choice only.

I don't think it can go as far as blocking OpenRC from being uploaded,
even if it's just experimental (experimental is there for that). The
only annoying bit would be if we decide that sysv-rc scripts (and OpenRC
runscripts) don't have to be mandatory, and that a bunch of #@(*$ refuse
to apply patches for supporting the ports sent to the BTS. Then only,
you have a problem. Though I really can't believe this will happen and
that we have such extremism within Debian. Let's assume good faith! :)

Cheers,

Thomas