Re: Longer maintainance for (former) stable releases of Debian (Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian)

> Alternately, we could be far more aggressive about removing packages from
> oldstable, I suppose, but I don't think that's a good idea; that just
> leaves our users with exactly the sorts of choices that we're trying to
> avoid.  I think it's much cleaner and better for our users to offer full
> security support and then retire the whole distribution at the same time.
> It makes planning considerably easier, among other things.

I don't really understand it myself as server packages and their
dependencies tend to be stable and I tend to want the latest versions of
dovecot, unbound etc..

However perhaps there is a divide here between servers which want longer
support for few packages and desktops which want stable but secure yet
as featureful as is sensible desktops.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)