Re: Custom Reload command/signal in upstart

> Like much of systemd it may seem impressive at first on the face of it
> but actually holds little value or doing what are already optional
> functions and has not been thought through or come from any great
> experience.

It has since occured to me that it was alleged on the Gentoo list that
the real reasoning behind systemd was so that RedHat could use it on
it's cloud service where pulling servers up and down like apps is
required and so the stage of boot which systemd speeds up is actually
significant. It was also mentioned that they also wanted to benefit
from all the bug reporting, testing, patching and service file
migration that would only come if they tried to launch it for all users.

In that light the memory saving trade off for security and practicality
actually makes sense as you could save lots and lots of resources on a
massive server or server farm running hundreds or thousands of server
systems per machine etc..

For the average user or traditional server that also means that it is
like putting a round peg in a square hole. Ignoring the rest that makes
it round I bet almost all will leave it at the accordingly well
tested (for RedHat's benefit) default? of socket activation without
really thinking about it fully.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)