Re: Longer maintainance for (former) stable releases of Debian (Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian)

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:41:58AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> The challenge was: who is willing to do the work.  Your answer is: me,
> but only everyone else helps.
>
> That doesn't answer the challenge at all.
>
> It's hard enough to get maintainers to fix bugs in current stable
> (backporting can be difficult, and some just don't care), let alone
> another 3 years of LTS.

Indeed. Look at the security team for example. In theory, if all
maintainers cared enough about the older packages, we woudn't need the
level of people we currently do.

So, if you want to see a longer support period, then *first* you should
join the teams who support the stable releases, and encourage others to
do the same.

Neil