Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

Christoph Egger <christoph@debian.org> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:
>> For the 13.04 release, Ubuntu made a change to its procedure whereby
>> source-only uploads to the development release (e.g. raring) actually
>go to
>> e.g. raring-proposed first.  The builds are attempted and only if
>they
>> succeed, pass their autopkgtests, *and* don't make the archive less
>> installable than before the new upload, are the packages copied over
>to the
>> release, e.g. raring.
>
>s/raring/testing s/raring-proposed/unstable and the whole thing sounds
>familar. Packages don't go into testing if they show regressions in
>buildability or decrease installablility in the archive. Now if we add
>whatever autopkgtests does it's eaxctly what we have, no?

Close. Because there is no aging requirement it moves much more quickly and as a result, there's much less risk of multiple transitions getting entangled and delayed.

Ubuntu explicitly defines the $ RELEASE-proposed pocket as 'not meant for humans'. It's only for building/automatic testing.

A nice side effect of this moving faster is that the Ubuntu release team doesn't pre-coordinate transitions.

It's very close to what Debian has, but that small difference has a large impact.

Scott K