Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

Le vendredi 03 mai 2013 à 09:18 +0800, Chow Loong Jin a écrit :
> While we're at it, can we also have source-only uploads? Uploading potentially
> huge binary packages that just go to /dev/null seems like a pointless waste of
> bandwidth to me, and the only for argument I've heard (which I don't buy) is "so
> that we know maintainers have test-built their packages."

There is a solution to both the upload bandwidth problem and the the
problem that buildd binaries are untested, but I’m afraid it implies
changes to dak.

This means configuring dak to accepting only two types of uploads:
- source-only uploads
        They are pushed to the buildds, and the produced binaries
        (including arch:all) are put in a staging area (much like
        incoming.d.o). These binaries can be downloaded, but
        the .changes cannot (to forbid skipping the second step).
- binary-changes-only uploads, without binaries
        The developer uploads a sole .changes referencing the set of
        binaries he has downloaded (and tested, although it is hard to
        force that step). Anything referencing binaries not built on the
        buildds is ditched.

This way, you ensure that the actual binaries ending up in the archive
have been tested, which is neither the case with just source-only
uploads (no binaries tested) nor with ditched-binary uploads (the binary
might be built in a different environment).

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :