Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

On May 11, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>Close. Because there is no aging requirement it moves much more quickly and
>as a result, there's much less risk of multiple transitions getting entangled
>and delayed.
>
>Ubuntu explicitly defines the $ RELEASE-proposed pocket as 'not meant for
>humans'. It's only for building/automatic testing.
>
>A nice side effect of this moving faster is that the Ubuntu release team
>doesn't pre-coordinate transitions.
>
>It's very close to what Debian has, but that small difference has a large
>impact.

Which suggests that it might not be a big step for Debian to take --
technologically at least.  The social distance might be greater.  But Scott's
right that it's been a *huge* improvement in the process and it would be
wonderful in Debian too.

For anyone interesting in pursuing this further, I suggest contacting Colin
Watson, who I think did most of the development to make this possible.

-Barry