Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 11.05.2013, 12:00 +0200 schrieb Christoph Egger:
> Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:
> > For the 13.04 release, Ubuntu made a change to its procedure whereby
> > source-only uploads to the development release (e.g. raring) actually go to
> > e.g. raring-proposed first.  The builds are attempted and only if they
> > succeed, pass their autopkgtests, *and* don't make the archive less
> > installable than before the new upload, are the packages copied over to the
> > release, e.g. raring.
>
> s/raring/testing s/raring-proposed/unstable and the whole thing sounds
> familar. Packages don't go into testing if they show regressions in
> buildability or decrease installablility in the archive. Now if we add
> whatever autopkgtests does it's eaxctly what we have, no?

Close, but not quite. From what I understood the packages undergo these
checks before entering the development release (i.e. unstable), and that
without a 10 days delay. This means that unstable would be in a
constantly better shape, the release team would probably have an easier
time keeping testing close to unstable (as things are installable in
unstable) and the individual developer would pay more attention to these
things (as he does not get his packages in otherwise).

(Ah, just noticed that you did not reply to me but to Barry. Still, I
hope my answers apply.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--