Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:48:37 +0200, md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:
>On May 10, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
>> Having the rescue image _this_ independent is not really desireable
>> since one would probably have to deal with outdated or non-existing
>> rescue tools in the independent image while the correct software in
>> the correct version is on the system's own / file system.
>I doubt that this is going to be a problem in practice, but if it
>happens to be then I am sure that the grub glue package(s) can be easily
>enanched to keep the rescue image up to date.

Additional work necessary to satisfy upstream's bizarre ideas. Why not
keeping things the way they are now? They work. No need to waste
developer time.

>> But I'll have the fsck version that is guaranteed to fit my /usr file
>> system in the big /usr file system, so I'll be forced to use an fsck
>> from a rescue image which might not be the current one, possibly
>> causing even more damage.
>
>People use live CDs for rescue all the time, do you have some data which
>show that this is actually a problem in real life and not an imaginary
>problem?

For example, a few years ago, I found myself in a (hoster provided)
rescue image with LVM 2 disabled in the kernel and needed to bootstrap
myself by installing grml[1] in a hastily made file system in the
former swap partition to access my disk.

Greetings
Marc

[1] back then booting grml from its .iso via grub was not possible