Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On Thu, 9 May 2013 18:17:29 +0200, md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:
>On May 09, "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> wrote:
>> Or in other words: to make essential functionality not available if
>> /usr is broken.
>Again: this is not we are discussing. Essential functionality is moving
>to /usr anyway

Which is a really really bad thing. Some anonymous upstream is forcing
us to decrease the reliability of our systems. I really hate that
idea.

>> Having a seperate / means you have an instant rescue image that has
>> just the right kernel and tools you need to repair the rest of your
>> system.
>OK, so you could have an even *smaller* / with a *real* independent
>rescue image like grml in /boot.

Having the rescue image _this_ independent is not really desireable
since one would probably have to deal with outdated or non-existing
rescue tools in the independent image while the correct software in
the correct version is on the system's own / file system.

>> You also have one small filesystem with all the important
>> stuff like /etc in it while the boring large distro stuff is in
>> another partition. You also have a partition border between
>> most of the random stuff and the important stuff.
>Indeed, if the content of /{bin,sbin,lib} is moved to /usr you can have
>a small filesystem with all the important stuff like /etc in it and the
>boring large distro stuff (like 100 MB of kernel modules for each
>kernel, currently in /lib) in another partition.

But I'll have the fsck version that is guaranteed to fit my /usr file
system in the big /usr file system, so I'll be forced to use an fsck
from a rescue image which might not be the current one, possibly
causing even more damage.

Greetings
Marc