Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On May 08, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> How would that be done for a 200 MB filesystem holding /, no extra
> /boot partition, and a multi-gigabyte /usr beyond the 2T barrier?
Let's assume that at this point there are no files in /{bin,sbin,lib}
which have the same name of a file in /usr/{bin,sbin,lib} but are not
a symlink to them (which I suspect is something that we want anyway).

For each $file in /{bin,sbin,lib}:
  if $file is a symlink to /usr/.../$file
    do nothing
  else
    cp -a $file to /usr/...
    ln -sf ../usr/.../$file $file

When /{bin,sbin,lib} only contain symlinks then they can be quickly
renamed, replaced by a symlink to /usr/$dir and finally safely deleted.
There is a tiny race here, but I am sure that there are much worse
ones while doing a dist-upgrade.

And now you have space in /boot for a 150 MB grml-small rescue image!

--
ciao,
Marco