Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On May 07, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> >What about merging / and /usr ?
> So we really want to explicitly not offer an upgade path from wheezy
> to jessie?
This causes no major issues on upgrades, Fedora did it.
The hard part is replacing with a symlink to the other one of every pair
of binaries which appears both in /bin and /usr/bin (and sbin, and so
on).

(With some very small dpkg hackery this could even be handled in
a transparent way and only for users who care to fold / in /usr, but I
do not see such support forthcoming...)

--
ciao,
Marco