Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On May 09, "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> wrote:

> Or in other words: to make essential functionality not available if
> /usr is broken.
Again: this is not we are discussing. Essential functionality is moving
to /usr anyway, no matter if /bin will become a symlink to /usr/bin.

> Having a seperate / means you have an instant rescue image that has
> just the right kernel and tools you need to repair the rest of your
> system.
OK, so you could have an even *smaller* / with a *real* independent
rescue image like grml in /boot.

> You also have one small filesystem with all the important
> stuff like /etc in it while the boring large distro stuff is in
> another partition. You also have a partition border between
> most of the random stuff and the important stuff.
Indeed, if the content of /{bin,sbin,lib} is moved to /usr you can have
a small filesystem with all the important stuff like /etc in it and the
boring large distro stuff (like 100 MB of kernel modules for each
kernel, currently in /lib) in another partition.

I am glad that we sorted out your use case as well.

--
ciao,
Marco