Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

* Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> [130509 16:03]:
> So, please let me know if you have some technical objections better
> than "it's an hack".

Having a seperate / means you have an instant rescue image that has
just the right kernel and tools you need to repair the rest of your
system. You also have one small filesystem with all the important
stuff like /etc in it while the boring large distro stuff is in
another partition. You also have a partition border between
most of the random stuff and the important stuff.

All those are real advantages that people care about. A simple
"I do it differently" or "I do not care" from your side is hardly
anything someone can counter with technical arguments, so you will
not see many.

        Bernhard R. Link