Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

On 04/05/13 at 12:27 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> > On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 12:05:06PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> >> Again, as Thijs argued somewhat eloquently already earlier in this
> >> thread, computational time is not the scarce resource to worry about;
> >> human time is.
> >>
> >> The one thing Debian is comfortable about spending money on is
> >> hardware, so if we expect to see double build times, then there should
> >> be an associated doubling-down on buildd hardware.
> > 1-2 years ago I wondered why Debian doesn't do automatical weekly full
> > archive test rebuilds for at least amd64 and the answer was hardware.
> > Since then I assumed Debian doesn't have any freedom with machine
> > resources.
>
> That is something like 2 orders of magnitude [0] more work (for
> reference doubling is 1/5th of an order of magnitude), which I would
> agree is intractable, although Lucas did find a way using Amazon's
> services.

Clearly, the limiting factor here is manpower. It takes time to maintain
the necessary infrastructure, start the rebuilds, process build logs, turn
them into bug reports, and answer follow-up questions.
The credits we have on AWS are largely sufficient to do as many archive
rebuilds one can reasonably think of.
Btw, if someone wants to take care of that during the first year of the
jessie cycle... :)

Lucas