Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 12:05:06PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
>> Again, as Thijs argued somewhat eloquently already earlier in this
>> thread, computational time is not the scarce resource to worry about;
>> human time is.
>>
>> The one thing Debian is comfortable about spending money on is
>> hardware, so if we expect to see double build times, then there should
>> be an associated doubling-down on buildd hardware.
> 1-2 years ago I wondered why Debian doesn't do automatical weekly full
> archive test rebuilds for at least amd64 and the answer was hardware.
> Since then I assumed Debian doesn't have any freedom with machine
> resources.

That is something like 2 orders of magnitude [0] more work (for
reference doubling is 1/5th of an order of magnitude), which I would
agree is intractable, although Lucas did find a way using Amazon's
services.

Best wishes,
Mike

[0] The buildds currently handle around 5-10 packages a day now, and
building the entire archive every two weeks would require handling
around 2678 packages/day (37493 packages in wheezy / 14 days), which
is well over 100 times more work (i.e. 2 orders of magnitude).