Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 12:10:25AM +0300, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:
> > Once we drop that and only give people the right to modify the
> > software we distribute but no longer the possiblity to do so
> > on their own, the "Free" we are so proud on gets mood.
>
> Doesn't pbuilder make it easy enough for anyone to modify and build the
> software on their own?

The issue with sterile build environments is not just for building
packages for normal use.  If I'm fixing a bug in a package, I may need
to build that package several times, testing different fixes.  If
everyone assumes that packages will be built in a sterile environment,
nobody will care that their packages don't build twice in a row, but
that's exactly the situation that I have when trying to test a patch.
Also, I'm not going to set up an entire chroot or sbuild or pbuilder
environment just to test a patch.  Packages should definitely be built
for the archive in a clean environment, but they should still build
correctly in an unclean one.