Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 06:49:45PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 01:08:31AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > Now, I may add, I have no will to discuss it with you
> > anyway, after reading you impose on my your
> > partitioning scheme, and would like me to use my
> > computer the way *YOU* think is best. That is, by
> > the way, the same attitude systemd upstream has.
>
> Yes, you can do with *YOUR* computer whatever you want. You can paint
> it pink and attach nice flower stickers onto it. But that doesn't mean
> upstream or distribution developers always have to keep their software
> in the most flexible way so it would fit everybody. It's simply not
> feasible and wastes time and efforts sometimes.

Possibly.

Now if someone wants to fork the particular bits of upstream software so
making use of a separate /usr is still possible, even if you think it's
totally useless, are you going to stop them.

That's what this thread is about, really.

> It's pointless to put so much effort to support every single use
> case.

Why aren't we all using Windows, then?

[...]
--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy requires you
to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once, add a voucher, and