Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 01:08:31AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> So please just keep in mind that this is annoying
> some others, and if you don't feel annoyed, just
> live with the fact you aren't alone in this world, and
> that some of us prefer a separated /usr partition.

Based on which technical merits?

"I want to have a separate /usr, because I can" is not a reason to
make things more complex and difficult in the development.

I would agree if there was a technical reason, but I don't see
any. And, as you see, enabling a separate /usr means extra work.

> Now, I may add, I have no will to discuss it with you
> anyway, after reading you impose on my your
> partitioning scheme, and would like me to use my
> computer the way *YOU* think is best. That is, by
> the way, the same attitude systemd upstream has.

Yes, you can do with *YOUR* computer whatever you want. You can paint
it pink and attach nice flower stickers onto it. But that doesn't mean
upstream or distribution developers always have to keep their software
in the most flexible way so it would fit everybody. It's simply not
feasible and wastes time and efforts sometimes.

It's pointless to put so much effort to support every single use
case. As I said before, 95% of the users don't care what init system
they have. The same argumentation is valid when it comes to supporting
certain architectures. Debian dropped support for m68k and Alpha and
deprived users of their freedom to run Debian on these platforms with
the latest supported software. But these architectures weren't dropped
because they wanted to take away people's freedoms but because it was
no longer reasonable to support them on the long term. You can still
run and install Debian on these architectures, but since they really
aren't that popular anymore, they shouldn't have a strong influence on
the main development.

> > And you are dodging my questions. Don't you think that people like
> > Richard who make such bold claims that writing a free BIOS replacement
> > is a matter of a few hundred lines of assembly, ridiculing the almost
> > 15 years of development of Coreboot, cannot be taken seriously?
> >
> > Do you think that Greg - being a Gentoo developer himself - would make
> > such statements if he didn't knew what he was talking about?
>
> I don't know these guys, I can't judge...
>
> > But I don't support forks which are created based on false assumptions
> > of the original software. Another bad example where people forked and
> > obviously don't know what they're doing is Trinity [3].
>
> ...but I know that Gentoo guys aren't working
> on their fork because of false assumptions only.

According to Greg - the original author of the software - they do!
I don't understand why you wouldn't trust the person more who designed
the original software than the ones who are forking it.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz