Re: New virtual packages: lv2-plugin and lv2-host

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Ian Jackson
<ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> I guess you are thinking that LV2 plugin packages would Recommend or
> Depend on lv2-host ?

Yes, exactly.

> But I don't think that's really helpful.
> Perhaps lv2-host should specify something more definite, like "can
> access the following features ((list)) of any available LV2 plugins".
> Really, I think usually a virtual package like this should refer to a
> specific interface that can be used to access the desired
> functionality.  In this case that means not just the LV2 plugin ABI
> but also perhaps an /etc/alternatives-based lv2-host command or
> something.

Why tightening up rules? Policy §3.6 does not pretend packages to meet any specs
nor comply with common interfaces, it just says "Sometimes there are several
packages which offer more-or-less the same functionality. In this case, it's
useful to define a virtual package whose name describes that common
functionality."

That's it: lv2-host would mean something capable to load LV2 plugins. As usual,
it's gonna be up to the Maintainer clarify which kind of plugins could be loaded
and which not by providing the package with a proper explanatory long
description.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Ian Jackson
<ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Do users specifically find LV2 plugin packages by name and install
> them ?  How does it help the user to have an arbitrary "lv2-host"
> installed too ?

Actually I receive lots of mails from users asking me questions like "How could
I find an exhaustive list of LV2 toys currently provided by Debian?", "Does the
X sequencer support LV2 plugins?". So, I think we'd do a good service to our
users by grouping audio hosts and plugins by features they do provide. [1]

 [1] That does not mean I think it'd be appropriate to populate audio plugins'
     Provides: field with long lists of virtual packages. The original proposal
     was just about LV2 because of its constantly increasing popularity.

Cheers!

--
Alessio Treglia          | www.alessiotreglia.com
Debian Developer         | alessio@debian.org