Re: New virtual packages: lv2-plugin and lv2-host

Quoting Ian Jackson (2012-11-21 13:40:35)
> Alessio Treglia writes ("Re: New virtual packages: lv2-plugin and lv2-host"):
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Ian Jackson
> > <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > > And an lv2-host could include something which can use only plugins
> > > with certain features.
> >
> > Altough dillo doesn't support Javascript, it Provides www-browser and
> > that looks correct to me as it is definitely "something that can
> > browse HTML files".
>
> I assume that if you install only dillo, you end up with
> sensible-browser using dillo.
>
> > Maybe a better proposal would be the following:
> >
> >    lv2-host    anything that can load LV2 plugins
>
> I guess you are thinking that LV2 plugin packages would Recommend or
> Depend on lv2-host ?  But I don't think that's really helpful.
> Perhaps lv2-host should specify something more definite, like "can
> access the following features ((list)) of any available LV2 plugins".
>
> Really, I think usually a virtual package like this should refer to a
> specific interface that can be used to access the desired
> functionality.  In this case that means not just the LV2 plugin ABI
> but also perhaps an /etc/alternatives-based lv2-host command or
> something.

It seems to me that you are applying more strict rules now than has been
applied to other names on the list in the past.

httpd and imap-server also do not provide a common command (nor do they
necessarily occupy a common port number).

Similar (as far as I know) for e.g. audio-mixer and mp3-encoder (TTBOMK
none of those has a sensible-* wrapper).

 - Jonas