Re: New virtual packages: lv2-plugin and lv2-host

Alessio Treglia writes ("Re: New virtual packages: lv2-plugin and lv2-host"):
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Ian Jackson
> <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > And an lv2-host could include something which can use only plugins
> > with certain features.
>
> Altough dillo doesn't support Javascript, it Provides www-browser and
> that looks correct to me as it is definitely "something that can
> browse HTML files".

I assume that if you install only dillo, you end up with
sensible-browser using dillo.

> Maybe a better proposal would be the following:
>
>    lv2-host    anything that can load LV2 plugins

I guess you are thinking that LV2 plugin packages would Recommend or
Depend on lv2-host ?  But I don't think that's really helpful.
Perhaps lv2-host should specify something more definite, like "can
access the following features ((list)) of any available LV2 plugins".

Really, I think usually a virtual package like this should refer to a
specific interface that can be used to access the desired
functionality.  In this case that means not just the LV2 plugin ABI
but also perhaps an /etc/alternatives-based lv2-host command or
something.

Ian.