Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source

]] Pau Garcia i Quiles

> It's not a matter of using a better or worse script, having dpkg, or
> uupdate, or some other tool do that for us. It's a matter of
> repackaging. It's a matter of altering upstream's package for (IMHO)
> no good reason. It's a matter of breaking user confidence: users are
> no longer able to compare Debian's .orig.tar.gz with upstream's
> tarball, or with Gentoo's traball, or with Fedora's tarball, etc just
> because we are shipping a different source tarball.

It's customary to add +dfsg or similar when repackaging, so it's pretty
clearly marked that it's not the exact same tarball as upstream's
released and I believe user confusion is small.

Also, I question whether people just check fingerprints instead of
actually diffing the contents of the tarballs themselves.

--
Tollef Fog Heen