Re: Enabling uupdate to simply remove files from upstream source (Was: Minified javascript files)

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> [...]
[...]
>> > I'm using a more sophisticated script, that allows to filter at the same
>> > time as the file is downloaded, without actually extracting to disk.
[...]

It's not a matter of using a better or worse script, having dpkg, or
uupdate, or some other tool do that for us. It's a matter of
repackaging. It's a matter of altering upstream's package for (IMHO)
no good reason. It's a matter of breaking user confidence: users are
no longer able to compare Debian's .orig.tar.gz with upstream's
tarball, or with Gentoo's traball, or with Fedora's tarball, etc just
because we are shipping a different source tarball.

I can understand repackaging when there are licensing issues,
copyright issues, etc (music files, unlicensed artwork, etc) but for
jQuery's minified JavaScript file, which is distributed under full
compliance with jQuery's license and we have the full source
(un-mininified) and the package build-depends on libjs-jquery and the
package does not use the minified file at all? Give me a break.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org