Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 05:56:57PM +0300, Andrej N. Gritsenko wrote:
>     Hello!
> Thomas Goirand has written on Wednesday,  8 August, at 22:01:
> >On 08/08/2012 09:11 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> >> And ip is not standard (not present on every Linux systems), whereas
> >> I don't know any system without ifconfig.
> >Then, what do you use to list multiple IPs on a single interface?
> >ifconfig simply doesn't support it.
>     In fact, I have multiple IPs on a single interface right now on the
> machine where I write this letter. And I never used 'ip' before for
> configuring it and probably I never will. Have you ever heared of such
> thing as 'interface alias'?

Yes, it's a horrible hack.

> It's what I always used on *BSD, Linux, and
> other *nix systems. And yes, command 'ifconfig' shows me those IPs too.
> So I would say, such very distro-specific tool as 'ip' will never ever
> can be called as 'standard' one. I'm sorry.
It is Linux-specific, not distro-specific.

> >IMHO, if there's distros with ifconfig but not ip, then such distro
> >doesn't deserve much attention. The standard *is* ip, it's a much
> >more powerful tool that does all you need (you can't say the same
> >thing with ifconfig).
>     You mean MacOS-X, *BSD, Solaris, etc. are all dead and breaking the
> standards? You've made me laugh. :)
ifconfig was not specified in any standard.  If you ever actually
tried to script address configuration on multiple platforms (I did, I
used to work on network test automation) you'll find that there is
actually almost no portability.

Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus