Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 04:26:54PM +0200, Arno Töll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08.08.2012 16:01, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > IMHO, if there's distros with ifconfig but not ip, then such distro
> > doesn't deserve much attention. The standard *is* ip, it's a much
> > more powerful tool that does all you need (you can't say the same
> > thing with ifconfig).
>
> If you do not use ip, you have no way to assign more than one IP address
> to the same interface.

Probably not, but these are not the only programs that might be used
to assign an IP address.

> Thus, there won't be any feature missing and
> sub-interfaces providing the same functionality are supported as I said
> earlier today.
>
> Yes, ip is more powerful but with ifconfig, route, vconfig, mii-tool and
> arp you have roughly the same functionality ip provides in a very
> cryptic user interface.

ethtool is the more general substitute for mii-tool.  mii-tool can
show you more information about MDIO (clause 22) PHYs, but many
Ethernet interfaces do not have these.

> The standard is *not* ip, the difference is just that iproute2 has a
> more active upstream than net-tools. At some point we might be urged to
> make a decision, but I don't see much interest to get rid of net-tools
> entirely now. Neither outside Debian.
[...]

net-tools last released in 2001.  It's barely kept alive by Debian
and Gentoo maintainers, so far as I can see.

Anyway, I thought the argument is that net-tools should be deprecated
and reduced in priority, not that it must be removed altogether.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus