Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On 08/08/2012 09:11 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> And ip is not standard (not present on every Linux systems), whereas
> I don't know any system without ifconfig.

Then, what do you use to list multiple IPs on a single interface?
ifconfig simply doesn't support it.

IMHO, if there's distros with ifconfig but not ip, then such distro
doesn't deserve much attention. The standard *is* ip, it's a much
more powerful tool that does all you need (you can't say the same
thing with ifconfig).

> Anyway it's up to the user to choose the commands he wants.

If that was truth, then let's forget about Debian and let's use Windows.

Also, for example, d-i has ip, but not ifconfig, IIRC.

Also, if the user is using the wrong tool, we might want to
teach him the right way.

Also...

So I'm afraid it's not *always* up to the user to choose, for the good or
the worst.

By the way:
echo "alias ifconfig='ip a'" >>.bashrc

problem solved... ;)