Re: RFC: Why are so many debian packages outdated?

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 15:24 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Svante Signell wrote:
> > I can give a few examples of outdated packages having non-responsive
> > maintainers, wine is one of them. See the wishlist bugs! Finally a set
> > of NMUs solved that problem.
>
> Pointing at wine at this point is a red herring.  A group of
> interested volunteers fixed it.  That's how these problems get solved.

I happened to be the bug submitter for the wine 1.2 series, #585409 it
is dated June 10 2010!

>  If a you see an out-of-date package, please volunteer your time to
> help fix it.  If you're not a DD, you can do the work and send a
> message to debian-mentors.

I have tried several times and I can give you a recent example, see
#610209 and especially #669368. I have tried to contribute, but to no
avail (at least in this case).

> We've also started various discussions and changes toward making it
> more straightforward to fix these types of situations.  e.g.:
> http://bugs.debian.org/681833

Good to know! Progress is being made.