Re: RFC: Why are so many debian packages outdated?

Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> writes:
> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 15:24 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:

>> If a you see an out-of-date package, please volunteer your time to help
>> fix it.  If you're not a DD, you can do the work and send a message to
>> debian-mentors.

> I have tried several times and I can give you a recent example, see
> #610209 and especially #669368. I have tried to contribute, but to no
> avail (at least in this case).

I think a relevant question here (other than whether Tollef wants
co-maintainers and the fact that it's too late to be uploading new
versions for wheezy now anyway) is whether the project wants to allow NMUs
to fix Hurd issues (not *now*, obviously, but back in April or May).
Historically, my impression is that people didn't want the Hurd porters to
do that, or for others to do that on their behalf, on the grounds that
Hurd support is not yet (sufficiently) important to the project.

I admit to personally having also postponed making Hurd-specific fixes
until it was convenient for me rather than acting on them right away as I
would have for releaseable ports, but I'm trying to get better about that,
since I know it's demotivating for the Hurd porters.

Looking at the changelog, I wonder if the change in 0.24:

- Use /proc/self/mountinfo for bind mount detection; recent distributions
  symlink /etc/mtab to /proc/self/mounts, losing information we need.

is important for us, given that we're now symlinking /etc/mtab to
/proc/mounts.