Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Patrick Ouellette <pouelle@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:10:24PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>>
>> As said many times, node is an interpreter used in shebang. Using a
>> different name would just upset its user base. Debian will be seen,
>> again, as the one harming a community, like this may happen in the
>> Ruby community because of lack of understanding on how we work.
>> Outside of Debian, nobody will understand why a package related to
>> HAM radio hinders the use of one of the trendiest package (in the
>> top 5 of most watched and forked repository in GitHub).
>
> So every time something is the hot new trend it has the right to usurp
> an established package's binary namespace?  I'm not asking this to be
> argumentative, I really want to know if this is your intention.

Not speaking for Vincent, here is my take:

A namespace is something that is distinctive and specific. "Node" is
neither. As it stands, it is foolish for both projects to use such
name(s).

All that being said, it would be nice to come to a "good" (or the
"best" possible) solution. Those are subjective terms and that is why
the arguments are revolving around popularity, ease of transitions,
and the "best" interests for (the majority of) Debian's users.

-mz