Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

Carsten Hey wrote:

> I was talking about a consensus among the maintainers of the affected
> packages.  Even if all but the maintainers of one of the affected
> packages would agree to a solution, there would be no way to implement
> this solution without asking the tech-ctte or (what would be not
> appropriate for this) a GR.

Wait, really?  What happened to respect by maintainers for the
project?  What happened to NMUs when a maintainer is stalling work?

[...]
> node.js might not be that widespread in use as python, but shipping
> a node.js with /usr/bin/nodejs seems to be broken in a similar way as
> the above example.

I would agree with you if we were proposing going forward against
upstream's wishes.  But I was not proposing that --- we don't know
upstream's wishes yet, but I was going to send a patch once we know
it works.  Sorry for the lack of clarity.

This kind of thing has precedent.  For example, there is gmake and
there are commands like axlisten.

Hoping that clarifies a little,
Jonathan