Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 02:35:06PM -0300, Fernando Lemos wrote:

> So while I don't think decisions shouldn't be taken based solely on
> popcon stats, I think it would be silly to think that ham radio would
> be more popular than node.js. I understand you're reluctant to undergo
> this transition and I empathize, but this argument is really a long
> shot.

There are several issues, apparently none of which apply including but
not limited to :

length of time a package has been in Debian

the fact the package is still viable and in use by a not insignificant
number of people

the fact that the Node.js maintainers previously asked the node maintainer
to change the package name and he refused

the fact the Node.js maintainers knowing policy violations would happen
willfully released their package to Debian with the policy violations
apparently to force just this situation and usurp the namespace
(or at the very least in an attempt to circumvent policy)

Please understand, it is not a "reluctance to undergo this transition."
I am being asked to make Debian incompatible with the previous 13 years
of functionality, and cause a significant impact on a user community.
This is not something that should be done lightly or without considerable
thought and preparation.  The first part of that process is convincing
me and the ham community (e.g. upstream) that the necessity of the change
is real, and the benefits outweigh the costs.

One of the considerable costs involves the number of systems in place in
the ham community that are not easily physically accessible should the
upgrade/change break the system.  These systems may be on mountain tops,
high buildings, or other high structures with significant challenges
to accessing the locations.  These systems may be (usually are) part
of emergency communications plans and are relied on to help in the
event of a disaster.

Pat